Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blog Assignment #4

"Don't teach your kids this stuff."
At first reading Mr. Scott McLeod's blog, I thought he was closed minded to technology but as I read further my mind was changed. It was interesting in how he was wording things but at the end of it, it all made sense. It does make you wonder who will have a leg up in a decade. My plan is to become a teacher that is tech literate and ready to learn more as I teach. The more I know, the more my students will know.

"The iSchool Initiative. Does technology belong in the classroom?"
This video that was done by Travis is an informative one. I never thought of the iPad doing all those things. That right there lets me know that technology waits on no one. Being able to access all the tools you need for school at your finger tips is mind blowing. Checking out books, scientific calculator, taking notes are just a few of the things that are accessible and all on one technological device.

"Lost Generation"
Creativity is amazing. The idea came across strongly. Reading it one was made things seems hopeless for their generation but once read backwards the concept changed. The generation would not be hopeless. The families would stay together and 10year reunion of divorce would not be. I think we all have to be willing to learn and apply that knowledge to whatever we do.


"Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir"

Breathtaking! I would love to be a part of this choir. It blew me away to see how good they were and everyone was in a different place. Technology is absolutely great. To be a part of a choir, do rehearsals, live in another city and not leave your home. I really can't say a lot about it because it made me speechless. "I LOVED IT".


"What does it mean to teach"

What caught my eye was the sentence "teachers are no longer the source of knowledge". This is so true in so many ways. Kids now have technology in the form of cellphones, facebook, wikipedia, iPads and much more. Knowledge is everywhere but if we (teachers) won't to be significant in a students learning, we have to be able to keep up with the technology that is out there. Also we can not restrict our students to expressing their ideas. We need to encourage them to be creative. You never know, you may have the next "Einstein" in your classroom.

1 comment:

  1. The next Einstein! I'll keep looking!

    So Dr. McLeod's sarcasm confused you at first? You are not the only one. Some never figured it out.

    I'll bring my iPod Touch and my iPad to the lab so you can see what they can do.

    ReplyDelete